|10th Louisiana Regiment Infantry (African Descent)|
|Country||United States of America|
|Branch||Union Army, American Civil War|
The 10th Louisiana Infantry (African descent) was a regiment in the Union Army during the American Civil War. It was comprised primarily of freed or escaped slaves from Louisiana's plantations and was commanded by white officers.
The unit was organized at Lake Providence and Goodrich Landing, Louisiana between May 6 and August 8, 1863. It was attached to the Goodrich Landing post until January 1864 and at Vicksburg until March 1864.
Yazoo River Expedition
The regiment participated in the Yazoo River Expedition between February 1 and March 8, 1864. Action was seen at Liverpool Heights, Mississippi on February 4 (with the 11th Illinois Infantry and the First Mississippi Cavary) and Satartia, Mississippi on February 7. Yazoo City, Mississippi was captured by Union forces on February 4 and the regiment occupied the city between February 9 and March 6. The was a skirmish at Yazoo city on March 5.
48th Regiment Infantry U.S. Colored Troops
The regiment was designated the 48th Regiment Infantry, U.S. Colored Troops on March 11, 1864.
The regiment participated in the expedition from Vicksburg to Rodney and Fayette, Mississippi between September 29 and October 3, 1864. The unit was sent to Algiers, Louisiana on February 26, 1865 and then to Fort Barrancas, Florida. Between March 20 and April 1, they marched from Pensacola, Florida, to Blakely, Alabama,
The regiment fought in the Battle of Fort Blakely, April 2–9, 1865 and then marched to Montgomery April 13–25. They were at Montgomery until June, 1865 and then went to Texas where they were on duty along the Rio Grande until January, 1866.
The regiment mustered out on January 4, 1866.
- List of Louisiana Union Civil War units
- Dyer, Frederick Henry (1908). Compendium of the War of the Rebellion: Regimental Histories. New York: T. Yoseloff. http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text.jsp?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A2001.05.0146%3Achapter%3D16%3Aregiment%3DLA8.
- United Nations Library (2006). Bibliography Of State Participation In The Civil War, 1861-1866. Martino Publishing. ISBN 1-57898-519-6.
- "IMPORTANT FROM VICKSBURGH.; Fight at Liverpool Heights Attack by the Rebels on Yazoo City Defeat of the Traitors Gallantry of the Union Troops.". New York Times. March 26, 1864. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9400E5DF143EEE34BC4E51DFB566838F679FDE. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "Union Regimental Histories: United States Colored Troops Infantry". The Civil War Archive. http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unlainf.htm. Retrieved 2008-08-18.