|10th Virginia Volunteer Cavalry Regiment|
Flag of Virginia, 1861
|Active||May 1862 – April 1865|
|Allegiance||Confederate States of America|
|Engagements||American Civil War: Seven Days' Battles-Second Battle of Bull Run-Battle of Antietam-Battle of Fredericksburg-Battle of Chancellorsville-Battle of Brandy Station-Battle of Gettysburg-Bristoe Campaign-Overland Campaign-Siege of Petersburg-Valley Campaigns of 1864-Appomattox Campaign|
The 10th Virginia Volunteer Cavalry Regiment was a cavalry regiment raised in Virginia for service in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. It fought mostly with the Army of Northern Virginia.
Virginia’s 10th Cavalry Regiment, formerly called 1st Cavalry Regiment, Wise Legion, and 8th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry, was organized in May, 1862. Many of the men were from Richmond and Albermarle, Rockingham, and Henrico counties.
The unit served in Hampton's, W.H.F. Lee's, Chambliss', and Beale's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. After fighting in the Seven Days' Battles, it saw action at Antietam, Fredericksburg, Brandy Station, Upperville, Gettysburg, Bristoe, and Mine Run. The regiment was involved in The Wilderness Campaign, the defense of Richmond and Petersburg, and the Appomattox Courthouse operations.
It took 236 effectives to Gettysburg and surrendered with 3 officers and 19 men. Its commanders were Colonels Robert A. Caskie, William B. Clement, and J. Lucius Davis; and Lieutenant Colonel Zachariah S. McGruder.
Captain William Kable of the 10th Virginia was also the founder of the Kable School, later Staunton Military Academy, many of the facilities of which are now in use by Mary Baldwin College in Staunton, Virginia.
Soldiers of the 10th Virginia
- Airstrop,Jackson /Dring,Tom /Goodloe,Benton /Humphrey,John /Mann,Richard C. /Rudasyl,James
- Aplin,Ned /Druen,J.A. /Goodman,D. /Johnson,Lewis B. /Martin,Samuel W. /Rudisil,John
- Baber,James R. /Durrett,Frank /Goodman,Harris /Johnson,William A. /Martin,T. R. /Scott,Alfred
- Bates,Robert H. /Durrett,Henry /Goodwin,John /Kable,William H. /Martin,Walker /Scott,Jack
- Boyd,A.P. /Durrett,James /Goodwin,Lewis /Kennan,Charles /Martin,Washington /Scott,James
- Burton,Cliff /Durrett,Mark /Goodwin,Warwick /Kennan,John /Maupin,Charles /Scott,James McClure
- Burton,John H. /Durrett,William /Grabble,G. H. /Kennedy,Hardon /Milton,Robert /Scott,John Zachery
- Carr,John /Edge,Benjamin /Grayson,John /Kenny,D. /Moon,J. Summerfield /Scott,Richmond Lewis
- Carr,Tom /Edge,John E. /Hall,Henry /Key,William /Morris,John /Shelton,Cliff
- Collins,George /Edge,Phillip /Hall,John /Kincaid,Clark /Nash,Alexander /Shelton,John C.
- Collins,Jeff /Elsom,William /Hall,Lucian /Lane,William /Nash,John /Shepard,Richard
- Collins,John /Elson,John /Hall,Richard /Lewis,John M. /O'Brien,John /Shepard,Thomas
- Collins,Press /Fears,George /Hamner,J. N. /Lewis,John O. /Oliver,John H. /Smith,Cary
- Collins,Washington /Ferguson,Frank /Hamner,Nick /Lipscomb,Campbell /Omohundro,Calvin /Smith,Edward
- Cosby,T.J. /Ferguson,James /Harden,Henry /Lobban,William /Page,Robert /Smith,John
- Coulter,George /Fox,Jobe /Harmon,William /McCue,James /Powell,Leonard /Smith,J. Massie
- Dettor,Ad /Fretwell,Bright /Harris,W. C. /McCue,William /Powell,Levi /Smith,Makry
- Dettor,John /Fretwell,Tom /Head,Oscar /McGee,Junius /Powell,Lewis /Smith,Rodes
- Dettor,Robert /Garland,Peter W. /Herndon,James /Mann,Auburn /Ranson,John /Smith,Tom
- Dettor,William /Giles,Joseph H. /Hicks,William /Mann,J. Legrand /Robert,Milton /Smith,William
- Dillard,Jesse /Goodloe,Ad /Hopkins,William /Mann,James L. /Rogers,B. F. /Smith,Willis
- Dollins,John /Goodloe,A. M. /Hudson,Charles /Mann,John /Rogers,James
- This article incorporates public domain material from the United States Government document "Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, National Park Service".
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|