|12th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry (3 Year)|
|Active||August 1, 1861 to July 18, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Shiloh|
Battle of Corinth
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Atlanta
Battle of Jonesboro
March to the Sea
Battle of Bentonville
The 12th Illinois Infantry was mustered into Federal service for a three year enlistment on August 1, 1861 at Cairo, Illinois.
The regiment was mustered out on July 18, 1865 at Camp Butler, Illinois..
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 5 officers and 143 enlisted men killed in action or mortally wounded and 3 officers and 109 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 260 fatalities.
- Colonel John McArthur - promoted to brigadier general on May 1, 1862.
- Colonel Augustus L. Chetlain - promoted to brigadier general on December 19, 1863.
- Lieutenant Colonel Henry Van Sellars - mustered out with the regiment.
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf1.htm The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/012-fs.htm Illinois in the Cvil war website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|