|15th Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry|
Iowa state flag
|Active||February 22, 1862 to July 24, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Shiloh|
Battle of Corinth
Battle of Port Gibson
Battle of Raymond
Battle of Champion's Hill
Battle of Big Black River
Siege of Vicksburg
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Battle of Atlanta
Battle of Jonesboro
March to the Sea
Battle of Bentonville
The 15th Iowa Infantry was organized at Keokuk, Iowa and mustered in for three years of Federal service on February 22, 1862.
The regiment was mustered out on July 24, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The 15th Iowa mustered a total of 1,926 men over the span of its existence. It suffered 8 officers and 118 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 1 officer and 260 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 387 fatalities.
- Colonel Hugh T. Reid
- Colonel William W. Belknap
- List of Iowa Civil War Units
- Iowa in the American Civil War
- http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/books/logan/mil407.htm Iowa Genweb Iowa in the Civil War Project after Logan, Guy E., Roster and Record of Iowa Troops In the Rebellion, Vol. 1
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/uniainf2.htm#15th The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- Iowa Genweb Iowa in the Civil War Project after Logan, Guy E., Roster and Record of Iowa Troops In the Rebellion, Vol. 1
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|