|16th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Cavalry|
|Active||December 25, 1862 to August 31, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Resaca|
Siege of Atlanta
Battle of Franklin
Battle of Nashville
The 16th Illinois Cavalry was organized at Camp Butler, Illinois between January and April 1863 from numerous independent companies of Illinois cavalry.
The regiment mustered out on August 19, 1865 .
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 3 officers and 30 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 1 officer and 228 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 262 fatalities.
- Colonel Christian Thielemann - discharged August 9, 1864.
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilcav2.htm#16th The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/cav016-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|