|1st United States Volunteer Sharpshooter Regiment|
|Active||September 1861 to December 31, 1864|
|Engagements||First Battle of Bull Run|
Second Battle of Bull Run
Battle of Antietam
Battle of Fredericksburg
Battle of Chancellorsville
Battle of Gettysburg
Battle of the Wilderness
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House
Battle of Cold Harbor
Siege of Petersburg
Service[edit | edit source]
The 1st U.S. Sharpshooters was raised as follows:
- Companies "A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, K"
- Companies "A", "D" and "H" were organized at New York City, New York in September 1861.
- Company "B" was organized at Albany, New York in September 1861.
- Company "C" in Michigan on August 21, 1861.
- Company "E" in New Hampshire on September 9, 1861.
- Company "F" in Vermont on September 13, 1861
- Company "G" in Wisconsin on September 19, 1861.
- Company "I" in Michigan on March 4, 1862.
- Company "K" in Michigan on March 30, 1862.
The 1st and 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters were consolidated on December 31, 1864.
Total strength and casualties[edit | edit source]
Ten of the regiment's officers and 143 enlisted men were killed in action or motally wounded and 1 officer and 128 enlisted men died of disease, for a total of 282 casualities.
Commanders[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unusvol.htm The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
References[edit | edit source]
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|