|31st Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry|
Iowa state flag
|Active||October 13, 1862 to June 27, 1865|
|Engagements||Siege of Vicksburg|
Battle of Lookout Mountain
Battle of Missionary Ridge
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Battle of Atlanta
Battle of Jonesboro
March to the Sea
Battle of Bentonville
The 31st Iowa Infantry was organized at Davenport, Iowa and mustered in for three years of Federal service on October 13, 1862.
The regiment was mustered out on June 27, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
A total of 1177 men served in the 31st Iowa at one time or another during its existence. It suffered 1 officer and 27 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 3 officers and 272 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 303 fatalities.
- Colonel William Smyth
- Lieutenant Colonel Jeremiah W. Jenkins
- List of Iowa Civil War Units
- Iowa in the American Civil War
- http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/books/logan/mil515.htm Iowa Genweb Iowa in the Civil War Project after Logan, Guy E., Roster and Record of Iowa Troops In the Rebellion, Vol. 1
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/uniainf3.htm#31stinf The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- Iowa Genweb Iowa in the Civil War Project after Logan, Guy E., Roster and Record of Iowa Troops In the Rebellion, Vol. 1
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|