|38th Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry|
Iowa state flag
|Active||November 4, 1862 to December 12, 1864|
|Engagements||Siege of Vicksburg|
Siege of Fort Morgan
Service[edit | edit source]
The 38th Iowa Infantry was recruited for the most part in five counties, Fayette, Winneshiek, Bremmer, Chickasaw, and Howard. Rendezvous and initial training was conducted at Camp Franklin, [Dubuque, Iowa]] and mustered in for three years of Federal service on November 4, 1862.
Total strength and casualties[edit | edit source]
A total of 1037 men served in the 38th Iowa at one time or another during its existence. It suffered 2 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 4 officers and 311 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 317 fatalities.
Commanders[edit | edit source]
- Colonel D. Henry Hughes - Thirty-two-year-old Hughes was referred to as a man of commanding stature, fine presence, and the soul of honor. He had the respect of the community as a war Democrat and a lawyer of considerable repute. A native of New York, he lived in Decorah, Winneshiek County, Iowa for seven years before the war. He died of disease August 7, 1863 at Port Hudson, La.
- Lieutenant Colonel Joseph O. Hudnutt - a Civil Engineer from Sumner Township in Bremer County, was mustered out upon consolidation of the regiment.
See also[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Iowa and the Rebellion, Lurton Dunham Ingersol, 1866, pages 664 - 668.
- http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/books/logan/mil707.htm Iowa Genweb Iowa in the Civil War Project after Logan, Guy E., Roster and Record of Iowa Troops In the Rebellion, Vol. 1
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/uniainf4.htm#36thinf The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- Bailey, Edwin C. Past and Present of Winneshiek County Iowa, A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement. Chicago: S. J. Clarke, 1913, 117, 118.
- Iowa Genweb Iowa in the Civil War Project after Logan, Guy E., 'Roster and Record of Iowa Troops In the Rebellion'', Vol. 1
References[edit | edit source]
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|