|3rd Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry|
|Active||June 8, 1861 to November 4, 1864|
|Engagements||Battle of Shiloh|
Battle of the Hatchie
Siege of Vicksburg
Siege of Jackson
Red River Campaign
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Battle of Atlanta
The 3rd Iowa Infantry was organized at Keokuk, Iowa and mustered into Federal forces on June 8, 1861.
The regiment was consolidated into a battalion of three companies in July, 1864 after those members of the regiment who did not reenlist mustered out and the survivors were transferred to 2nd Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry as Companies "A," "F," and "I" on November 4, 1864.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 8 officers and 119 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 122 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 249 fatalities.
- Colonel Nelson G. Williams
- Lieutenant Colonel John Scott
- List of Iowa Civil War Units
- Iowa in the American Civil War
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/uniainf1.htm#3rd The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/books/logan/mil304.htm Iowa Genweb Iowa in the Civil War Project after Logan, Guy E., Roster and Record of Iowa Troops In the Rebellion, Vol. 1
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|