|3rd Regiment Iowa Volunteer Cavalry|
Iowa state flag
|Active||August 30, 1861 to August 9, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Pea Ridge|
Siege of Vicksburg
The 3rd Iowa Cavalry was organized at Keokuk, Iowa and mustered in for three years of Federal service between August 30, and September 14, 1862.
The regiment was mustered out of Federal service on August 9, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
A total of 2165 men served in the 3rd Iowa at one time or another during its existence. It suffered 5 officers and 79 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 4 officers and 230 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 318 fatalities.
- List of Iowa Civil War Units
- Iowa in the American Civil War
- http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/books/logan/mil603.htm Iowa Genweb Iowa in the Civil War Project after Logan, Guy E., Roster and Record of Iowa Troops In the Rebellion, Vol. 1
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/uniacav.htm#3rdcav The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- Iowa Genweb Iowa in the Civil War Project after Logan, Guy E., Roster and Record of Iowa Troops In the Rebellion, Vol. 1
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|