|40th Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry|
Iowa state flag
|Active||November 15, 1862 to June 5, 1865|
|Engagements||Siege of Vicksburg|
The 40th Iowa Infantry was organized at Iowa City, Iowa on November 15, 1862.
The regiment was mustered out on June 5, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
A total of 1136 men served in the 40th Iowa at one time or another during its existence. It suffered 19 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 2 officers and 184 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 205 fatalities.
- Colonel John A. Garrett
- List of Iowa Civil War Units
- Iowa in the American Civil War
- http://iagenweb.org/civilwar/books/logan/mil709.htm Iowa Genweb Iowa in the Civil War Project after Logan, Guy E., Roster and Record of Iowa Troops In the Rebellion, Vol. 1
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/uniainf4.htm#40thinf The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- Iowa Genweb Iowa in the Civil War Project after Logan, Guy E., Roster and Record of Iowa Troops In the Rebellion, Vol. 1
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|