|48th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
Illinois state flag
|Active||September, 1861 to August 15, 1865|
|Engagements||Capture of Fort Henry|
Capture of Fort Donelson
Battle of Shiloh
Siege of Vicksburg
Battle of Resaca
Siege of Atlanta
March to the Sea
Battle of Bentonville
Service[edit | edit source]
The regiment was mustered out on August 15, 1865.
Total strength and casualties[edit | edit source]
The regiment suffered 10 officers and 113 enlisted men who were killed in action or mortally wounded and 6 officers and 251 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 380 fatalities.
Commanders[edit | edit source]
- Colonel Isham N. Haynie - resigned on November 21, 1862.
- Colonel William W. Sanford - resigned on January 18, 1864.
- Colonel Lucien N. Greathouse - killed in action July 22, 1864.
- Colonel Thomas L. Weens - mustered out with the regiment.
See also[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf4.htm#48th The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/048-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
References[edit | edit source]
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.