|52nd Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
Illinois state flag
|Active||November 19, 1861 to July 5, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Shiloh|
Battle of Corinth
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Siege of Atlanta
Battle of Jonesboro
March to the Sea
Battle of Bentonville
The 52nd Illinois Infantry was organized at Geneva, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on November 19, 1861.
The regiment was mustered out on July 5, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 2 officers and 59 enlisted men who were killed in action or mortally wounded and 119 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 180 fatalities.
- Colonel Isaac G. Wilson - resigned on December 9, 1861.
- Colonel Thomas W. Sweeny - promoted brigadier general.
- Lieutenant Colonel Edwin A. Bowen - mustered out October 24, 1864.
- Lieutenant Colonel Jerome G. Davis - mustered out with the regiment.
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf4.htm#52nd The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/052-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|