|53rd Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
Illinois state flag
|Active||January, 1862 to July 22, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Shiloh|
Battle of Metamora
March to the Sea
Battle of Bentonville
Service[edit | edit source]
The regiment was mustered out on July 22, 1865.
Total strength and casualties[edit | edit source]
The regiment suffered 8 officers and 80 enlisted men who were killed in action or mortally wounded and 2 officers and 137 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 227 fatalities.
Commanders[edit | edit source]
- Colonel William H.W. Cushman - resigned on September 3, 1862.
- Colonel Daniel F. Hitt - resigned on January 2, 1863.
- Colonel Seth C. Earl - killed in action on July 12, 1863.
- Colonel John W. McClanahan - mustered out with the regiment.
See also[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf5.htm#53rd The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/053-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
References[edit | edit source]
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.