|6th Georgia Volunteer Infantry|
Georgia State flag prior to 1879
|Active||1861–April 26, 1865|
|Country||Confederate States of America|
|Branch||Volunteer Army, American Civil War|
|Engagements||American Civil War|
Battle of Fredericksburg
Battle of Antietam
Battle of Chancellorsville
Battle of Olustee
|Colonel Alfred H. Colquitt|
Future governor of Georgia, Alfred H. Colquitt, was elected its first colonel. The regiment fought in the Battle of Fredericksburg, the Battle of Antietam and participated in Stonewall Jackson's flank attack at the Battle of Chancellorsville. The unit later saw action at battery Wagner near Charleston, South Carolina, and the battle of Olustee near Ocean Pond, Florida. The remnants and survivors of the regiment surrendered at Greenboro, North Carolina on April 26, 1865, to forces under the command of William T. Sherman.
- Alfred Holt Colquitt
- John T. Lofton
- Sampson Watkins Harris
- A Company (Sydney Brown Infantry) was formed in Hancock County, Georgia.
- B Company (Lookout Dragoons) was formed in Dade County, Georgia.
- C Company (Beauregard Rifles or Beauregard Volunteers) was formed in Houston County, Georgia.
- D Company (Butts County Volunteers) was formed in Butts County, Georgia.
- E Company (Crawford County Greys or Crawford Greys) was formed in Crawford County, Georgia.
- F Company (Camilla Guards or Mitchell County Independents or Mitchell Independents) was formed in Mitchell County, Georgia.
- G Company (Butler Vanguards) was formed in Taylor County, Georgia.
- H Company (Baker Fire Eaters) was formed in Baker County, Georgia.
- I Company (Twiggs County Guards) was formed in Twiggs County, Georgia.
- K Company (Gilmer Blues) was formed in Oglethorpe County, Georgia.
- Yorktown Siege, Virginia (4/62)Williamsburg, Virginia (5/5/62)
- Seven Pines, Virginia (5/31/62 - 6/1/62)
- Seven Days Battles, Virginia (6/25/62 - 7/1/62)
- Gaines’ Mill, Virginia (6/27/62)
- Malvern Hill, Virginia (7/1/62)
- South Mountain, Maryland (9/14/62)
- Antietam, Maryland (9/17/62)
- Fredericksburg, Virginia (12/13/62)
- Chancellorsville, Virginia (5/1/63 - 5/4/63)
- Grimball’s Landing, James Island, South Carolina (7/16/63)
- Charleston Harbor, South Carolina (8/63 - 9/63)
- Olustee, Florida (2/20/64)
- Drewry’s Bluff, Virginia (5/16/64)
- Petersburg Siege, Virginia (6/1/64 - 4/1/65)
- Cold Harbor, Virginia (6/1/64 - 6/3/64)
- Crater, Virginia (7/30/64)
- Fort Harrison, Virginia (9/29/64 - 9/30/64)
- Second Fort Fisher, North Carolina (1/13/65 - 1/15/65)
- Carolinas Campaign (2/65 - 4/30/65)
- Bentonville, North Carolina (3/19/65 - 3/21/65)
- List of Civil War regiments from Georgia
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|