|72nd Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
Illinois state flag
|Active||August 23, 1862 to August 7, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Champion's Hill|
Siege of Vicksburg
Battle of Franklin
Battle of Nashville
72nd Regiment Illinois was organized at Chicago, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on August 23, 1862.
The regiment was discharged from service on August 7, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 7 officers and 79 enlisted men who were killed in action or mortally wounded and 3 officers and 145 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 234 fatalities.
- Colonel Frederick A. Staring - Mustered out with the regiment.
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf5.htm#72nd The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/072-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|