|85th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
|Active||August 27, 1862 to June 5, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Perryville|
Battle of Stone's River
Battle of Chickamauga
Siege of Chattanooga
Battle of Lookout Mountain
Battle of Missionary Ridge
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Siege of Atlanta
Battle of Jonesboro
Battle of Bentonville
The 85th Illinois Infantry was organized at Peoria, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on August 27, 1862.
The regiment was mustered out on June 5, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 4 officers and 86 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 1 officers and 131 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 222 fatalities.
- Colonel Robert S. Moore - Resigned due to disability June 14, 1863.
- Colonel Caleb G. Dilworth - Mustered out with the regiment.
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf7.htm#85th The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/085-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|