|96th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
|Active||September 6, 1862 to June 10, 1865|
|Equipment||Battle of Chickamauga|
Battle of Lookout Mountain
Battle of Missionary Ridge
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Battle of Jonesboro
Battle of Franklin
Battle of Nashville
The 96th Illinois Infantry was organized at Rockford, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on September 6, 1862.
The regiment was mustered out on June 10, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 5 officers and 111 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 1 officer and 124 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 241 fatalities.
- Colonel Thomas E. Champion - Mustered out with the regiment.
- List of Illinois Civil War Units
- Illinois in the American Civil War
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf8.htm#96th The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/096-fs.htm Illinois in the Cvil war website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
- Charles A. Partridge, ed (1897). History of the Ninety-sixth Regiment: Illinois Volunteer Infantry. http://books.google.com/books?id=3heBAAAAIAAJ.
- The Civil War Archive
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|