Life[edit | edit source]
Amasa Junius Parker, Jr. was the son of Amasa J. Parker and his wife Harriet Langdon Parker. He graduated from Union College, Schenectady, New York in 1863 and the Albany Law School in 1864. He fought in the American Civil War and became a major.
He was a Democratic member from Albany County of the New York State Assembly in 1882. He was a member of the New York State Senate from 1886 to 1887, and from 1892 to 1895 (17th D. 86-87 and 92-93; 19th D. 94-95).
He was a trustee of Union College and the Albany Law School. He was active in the National Guard of New York and was a colonel in command of the Tenth Division during the break up of the Albany Railroad Strike of 1877.
Parker was one of the authors of the book Banking Law of New York. He was also an editor of the Parker's New York Criminal and Penal Codes as well as The Parker's Pocket Code of Civil Procedure.
References[edit | edit source]
- Harsha, David Addison (1891). Noted living Albanians and state officials. A series of biographical sketches. Albany, N.Y.: Weed, Parsons and company, printers. pp. 317–324. http://www.archive.org/details/notedlivingalban00hars.
- Dacus, Joseph A. (1877). Annals of the Great Strikes in the United States. Chicago: L.T. Palmer. pp. 266. http://books.google.com/books?id=z1opAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA266&lpg=PA266&dq=%22Amasa+J.+Parker,+Jr.%22&source=web&ots=_NIXNunqeq&sig=j3ubAZF3IoM4gQOdg4q-hrzjKKg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA266,M1.
- Morgan, George Wilson; Parker, Amasa Junius (1916). Banking Law of New York. New York: Banks Law Publishing Co.. http://books.google.com/books?id=9XgpAAAAYAAJ&printsec=titlepage.
- Raymond, Andrew Van Vranken (1907). Union University: Its History, Influence, Characteristics and Equipment, with the Lives and Works of Its Founders, Benefactors, Officers, Regents, Faculty, and the Achievements of Its Alumni. New York: Lewis Publishing Company. pp. 49. http://books.google.com/books?id=XG0iAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA49&lpg=PA49&dq=%22Amasa+J.+Parker,+Jr.%22&source=web&ots=DOCM9jMvA2&sig=MFSd9WC0SBsQNubUoVN2HGcD9Mc&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result.
- Frederick, Leypoldt; Jones, Lynds Eugene; Rogers Bowker, Richard; Appleton, Augusta Isabella (1905). The American Catalogue. New York: The Publishers Weekly. pp. 174. http://books.google.com/books?id=xCwPAAAAIAAJ&pg=RA2-PA174&lpg=RA2-PA174.
- "Notable people". Albany Rural Cemetery. http://www.albanyruralcemetery.org/albrurcem/Notable.html. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- GEN. AMASA PARKER IS DEAD IN ALBANY in NYT on May 3, 1938 (subscription required)