|Battle of Rogersville|
|Part of the American Civil War|
|USA (Union)||CSA (Confederacy)|
|Colonel Isarel Garrard
Major Daniel Carpenter
|Brigadier General William E. Jones|
|• 3rd Brigade, 4th Cavalry Division, U.S. Army
• 2nd East Tennessee Mounted Infantry, U.S. Army
|• Jones' Brigade, C.S. Army|
• 2nd Cavalry Brigade, C.S. Army
• 8th Virginia Cavalry, C.S. Army
The Battle of Rogersville was a conflict in and around the town of Rogersville, Tennessee on the morning of November 6, 1863, between the United States Army 3rd Brigate, 4th Cavalry Division and the 2nd East Tennessee Mounted Infantry, and the Confederate States Army Jones' Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Brigade and the 8th Virginia Cavalry. Because Federal forces were caught largely by surprise, the Confederates, under Brigadier General William E. Jones, were able to recapture Rogersville along with significant supplies from the town's railroad storehouses.
References[edit | edit source]
- History of Tennessee from the Earliest Time to the Present. Nashville: Goodspeed. 1887. OCLC 7914830.
- Price, Henry R (2002). Old Rogersville: An Illustrated History of Rogersville, Tennessee. 1. Rogersville: H R Price. OCLC 51158046.
- Price, Henry R (1996). Hawkins County: A Pictoral History. Virginia Beach: Donnings Co. ISBN 0898659744.
|35px||This article about a battle of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|