|William Pinckney Mason|
William Pinckney Mason|
January 10, 1843
December 16, 1922 (aged 79)|
|Resting place||Rockville Union Cemetery|
United States of America|
Confederate States of America
|Occupation||Confederate States Army officer|
|Known for||commander of the iron hull gunboat CSS Beaufort during the American Civil War|
|Spouse(s)||Elizabeth Ruthven McGill|
Wardlaw McGill Mason|
Lucius Randolph Mason
Shirley Carter Mason Prescott
Richard Chichester Mason|
Lucy Bolling Randolph
|Relatives||great-grandson of George Mason IV|
William Pinckney Mason (10 January 1843–16 December 1922) was a Lieutenant in the Confederate States Navy. Mason was a great-grandson of George Mason, author of the Virginia Bill of Rights, and his wife Ann Eilbeck.
Early life and education
American Civil War
Mason resigned from the United States Navy as an acting midshipman on 19 April 1861. Mason enlisted in the Confederate States Navy where he became an acting midshipman on 11 June 1861. On 7 January 1864, Mason was promoted to master in line of promotion and was made 2nd Lieutenant on 2 June 1864. Mason served on the CSS United States in 1861. Mason later served as commander of the CSS Beaufort and CSS Virginia II.
Marriage and children
- Wardlaw McGill Mason (1876–1936)
- Lucius Randolph Mason (28 January 1886–23 November 1984)
- Shirley Carter Mason Prescott (12 October 1891–21 March 1972)
- Gunston Hall. "William Pinckney Mason". Gunston Hall. http://www.gunstonhall.org/library/masonweb/p4.htm#i196. Retrieved 2010-02-10.
- United Confederate Veterans, Sons of Confederate Veterans (Organization, United Daughters of the Confederacy, Sons of Confederate Veterans, Confederated Southern Memorial Association). The Confederate Veteran Magazine, Volume 31. S.A. Cunningham. http://books.google.com/books?id=3XtHAAAAYAAJ.
- Library of Virginia. "Confederate Navy". Library of Virginia. http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/connavy/keyword_results.asp?page=14. Retrieved 2010-02-10.